Saturday, September 29, 2012

Une Faerie est une Féerie


After the Lion & Cub drawing I was talking with my mother.   In a part of our conversation I asked her what she wanted me to draw.   She suggested I draw a fairy,... I replied with "a fairy?!"    In her always perfect moments of  motherhood/friendship she stated she had been reading stories involving fairies and thought I should draw one.

In what I think is my usual style I needed to draw it in an original fashion,... and hence this was my vision of a completely fantastical being.  There are 6 or 7 types of beliefs regarding what faries are, from demoted angels to demons to pagan deities and more. They have been part of human literature since the 15th century and most probably stem even further back by word of mouth, so there have been innumerable amount of depictions of fairies.  Having said that,. here is my interpretation of a fairy which I imagined would be a feminine version of a nephilim (tall nondescript angelic being) with rather insect wings (forewing and hindwing) as opposed to feathered wings (single wing).






















They would be beings of nature (hence the nudity) and not necessarily childlike or pretty like pixies. So along that theme the hair needed to be a little scraggly and unkept.  The wings are more psychedelic than I would have prefered and I had toyed with the idea of adding/working light colors into them,.. but it was suggested I keep them black and white, (I concede the result is very pleasant as is),... 


and color
would have

made them 
too busy and
definitely
psychedelic.












 I think this part of the wings is my favorite part. 



























Drawn on 11 x 14 on 70lb paper. Used an HB, a 6B graphite pencil and a 0.7mm mechanical pencil. A kneading and hard eraser as well as various methods and tools to blend and shade the darker areas.


...   

No comments:

Post a Comment