Friday, June 26, 2009

Peggy - Completed.

Peggy is done,.. here are a few pictures of the final stages.
Another great learning experience with little to no experimentation or practice. By that I mean that I usually will try certain techniques on scrap sketch pads to see how they feel or how I can make the final look I want (like furry ears or a wet nose). Layering, shading, smugging and other tricks come into play, then I select the best option,.. but with this one, I simply worked on the drawing (just felt right).

Almost done here,... (there are always last minute tweaks)


Here is a detail of her face, (I like the eyes).

I am pleased with most of the drawing, the head in particular but the body not as much. The texture of the paper is too course for what I wanted to accomplish, but all in all when you stand back and look at the entire drawing,.. I guess it is not bad and you get some sense of what she was feeling.


Finally,... done! (maybe)


In the end I added a scarf (seen below her right ear), because she always had that red scarf/bandana on, even though you could not see it in the photograph. Now all I need to do is seal it and send it. I will have to request the help of my brother and sister in law for the frame since I am not sure what color to go with.

My usual tools were an HB, 2B, 6B and 8B, (most the 1st and last) a kneaded eraser, clic eraser (with a bevel cut) and some tortillons (for the near black areas). The dimensions are 11" x 14" on 70lbs acid free heavyweight paper.

Peggy was a wonderful dog and much more than a pet for my parents. I know she is missed and I hope this drawing is good enough to be shown in their home.

No comments:

Post a Comment