Sunday, May 24, 2009

Shading Exercises (and avoidance)

Under the guise of doing some shading exercises as shown below, I technically avoided working on the Betty Engine. In all seriousness, I truly do enjoy the engine but I quickly noticed that there is an exuberant amount of shading to simulate reflective chrome and and a plethora of tubes, hoses and wires in a 3 dimensional state (also, it is horrendously detailed). So to practice my pencil control from my elbow instead of my wrist I did the Wolverine and Spiderman below. Apparently you get more flexibility from the elbow than from the wrist - I concur. Neither are great and both are slightly different in style (I believe the Spidey is more realistic and Wolvy more cartoonish), but the shading study was quite indispensable.

It should be noted that both works are reproductions from images off the Internet.



Back to Betty,...

1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    Awesome perspective, namely the shortened one of the spiderman.

    Best regards,

    José

    ReplyDelete