Thursday, March 14, 2013

Bluebird,...

... I would like to dedicate this piece to my wife (by far the most courageous and strong person I know) and Camp Bluebird (the most impressive place I am aware of). Camp Bluebird is an adult camp for cancer survivors who are at all stages of their survival,.. from just diagnosed to in full treatment to years or decades in remission. Campers are treated to recreation and relaxation, but more importantly they can share their story and interact with fellow survivors and come to a better understanding of their life-style adjustments and non-medical needs when living with cancer. 

My loving spouse has been a frequent attendee to Camp Bluebird for a few years now. I love the idea of this place and I am overwhelmed with admiration for the effort, dedication and hard work the volunteers put into making this a reality.  Thank You!






Enough of the mushy stuff back to the art. This was my first attempt to work with color and like all things new that I try, I was frightened. However, I like how this turned out,.. the bird house and back ground in simple graphite and charcoal really do make the colors on this bluebird pop a little more. 

I finished with the eye,...









Although the change is minor I think you will agree that the final product has more realism.

A previously learned lesson did come back to me with this piece,.. that even with color and good technique to bring in realism, shadows are the most important. Shadows are what give a 2 dimensional drawing a 3 dimensional feel.




















One is a bird on a page,...                                    ... while the other is a bird coming off the page (hopefully).





{on a personal note, the fact that I managed to start with my favorite color, blue, is not by chance}

sB

No comments:

Post a Comment